Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

And Now I Hate my Jeep--or there's a first time for everything

No, I don't really hate my Jeep. I hate that after getting brakes and being very happy I stopped and got out and when I returned and put the key back in and went to turn it, nothing happened. The key won't turn. So I get home, which was a major ordeal being as it was 25 miles away, get the other set, and hey, guess what, they won't turn either. Yes I tried putting it even further into park, yes I tried turning the steering wheel.

I did control myself. Even though I went back with tools in my purse, I did not tear apart the dash board and anything else I could get apart by turning stuff counterclockwise. That is my usual method of attack, more reserved for appliances though, with the theory being it doesn't work, I can't hurt it. This, I could probably hurt. I could probably do more damage than is necessary in attempting to make the key turn. I really don't think taking my car halfway apart would have solved a thing, and I'm less inclined to do it when it's parked on the street, in a city that has declared a snow emergency and banned overnight parking on the streets--were it at home in the driveway, yes I would attempt it. I took the dash halfway apart last summer trying to figure out what the deal with the radio was, gave up, went to get a new radio put in and gave up on that when they told me my car needed rewired. I couldn't leave fast enough. Rewired. WTH is wrong with people, do I have a something special and descriptive that indicative of an extremely low IQ stamped on my forehead that's invisible to me?.

So it's been towed to a repair facility which hasn't treated me too awfully bad in the past. I actually had it towed to one place and remembered no, they took advantage of you the last timie you were here, why would you go there again. So I asked the guy, um can we take it further instead, which is actually closer to my house anyway? Sure. We'll let the professionals deal with this one. Any bets on what this first aid to my Jeep is going to cost--I bet it's more than the brakes because you need it even more to go. No brakes, just don't get in situations where you have to stop. Key won't even turn, they gotch ya and they know it. And I was feeling so good about probably not paying too much for the brakes (I still need to compare it to the receipts for the last front brake job, that one being in 2002 at 95,000 miles), because I usually get taken advantage of. I won't even go into detail here on that, suffice it to say I've learned I'm going to get taken advantage of I just try to minimize the amount.

Well it's a 1988 and has had very few problems over it's life, and I guess maybe something happened inside where the key goes. But seriously, the first time in 23 years the key hasn't turned, this car has no problems starting, (once the ubiquitous CPS was dealt with--and I diagnosed that myself--when I got it, the guy told me, sometimes it doesn't start after you've been driving, but if you just wait about a half hour--sure I'll just plan on being wherever a minimum of a half hour when I stop?), even after sitting forever, and I know it's sinful to call it a car, but if it has wheels, and when you put the key in it starts and goes, to me, that's always been a car. But hey it doesn't even do that right now, so what is it. It couldn't have picked a worse time. Well I suppose it could have waited until it was 10 below instead of just 10 above to do this.

On the bright side, the radio works so sporadically that if they have to tear apart the dash I may as well have em put a new radio/CD player in. This thing is so old it has AM/FM Cassette. I don't even have cassettes anymore and it doesn't have the jack hole (what's the word I'm searching for here?) so I can't even play my MP3 payer through it. I've so had it with this week, between the snow and the col, and the dog, the drugged dog--talk about zombie, and now this, I just want this week to be over so that maybe next week can be a little better and a little warmer and a little closer to spring.

1 comment:

sophie said...

Ugh ... what an adventure.