Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I LOVE MY JEEP

Well the blizzard wasn't that much of a big deal--a foot or so of snow. The problem was cleaning up after it. I probably could have got to work, but since it was still snowing, then there might be the issue of getting back home. On the other hand, when I leashed up the dogs to take to the vet, since hey, he wasn't busy, when I got to the main street it was a bizarre sight. Little tractors with blades clearing the center lane? I'm thinking where are the snow plows. It was a little startling to see the thing you might see on the sidewalk or in a driveway attempting to clear a major two lane. Whatever though, as long as they get the roads clear.

There was no way I would attempt to drive in this mess in the Caliber, even with new tires so I had to wait til at least 9 so I could put full coverage back on the Jeep. Even though we knew this was coming, some how yesterday came and went without me having the time to call the insurance guy--I was busy working at work. Every time we have bad weather it's a choice. If you get in an accident which vehicle do you want to be in? Probably the Caliber because it has air bags. But have you ever seen a smashed up Caliber. Doesn't take much to do serious damage to my car -- at least that's my theory based on my insurance bill. My theory is I might not get in an accident at all if I'm driving the Jeep. In the Jeep I actually feel like I have a grip on the road. The Caliber I feel like any second it will take off and go wherever it wants. Regardless, the problem is you have to watch out for some moron losing it because they're driving too fast for conditions--which the police seam loath to enforce for some reason. And I just really don't want to be involved in head on in either vehicle. The Jeep handles much better in snow than the Caliber. In fact, it's rather fun to bomb around in, especially in deep snow. I've never got stuck yet, but seriously wondered if I wasn't stuck today as I was uncovering it, but once I got it uncovered and put it in gear, it went. Actually, other than being stuck in the drive way a year or so ago because my brilliant neighbor snow blew his driveway and blew it all, literally on top of both the Jeep and the Caliber, I haven't been stuck since about 1978 when we had a huge blizzard storm and I attempted to go thru the drive through of a fast food restaurant, that it turned out was closed, and I think the snow was deeper than space between the floor boards and the ground. Yippee, looks like the neighbors snow blower is out of commission, they're out there shoveling. I was worried since I moved the Jeep out of the driveway, backed the Caliber in and parked the Jeep basically in the front yard, yep, they'd think I made this space for them to blow their snow, when actually I just want a clear shot out of the driveway, regardless of what vehicle I use without clipping one or the other if I do have a directional issue. Getting stuck isn't what I normally worry about (if you blow the snow from a driveway twice as wide and longer than mine onto my cars, yes, I'm stuck), it's that other person losing control that I worry about. At least this snow I don't have to worry about being buried by my intelligent, kind, considerate neighbors.

No comments: