Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

What I've Been Dying

I've been dying wool, one yard pieces on request. I've been pretty much given free reign as to what color and values but they are for a customer that prefers their colors to have a tinge of gray whereas the colors I dye for my personal use are more vivid and I never attempt to dull the color











These are pretty much the wools I've been overdying. A creamy white, an off white with pale green/tan strip in it, an ivory/beige/gray plaid and these are the end result.

In addition to the pinks and greens I also did some reds and blues. The blue was a specific request. A very grayed light blue was desired. I started out with Cushings Blue. It looked purple and scared me, so I added ProChem Brilliant Blue 490 now I had blue but it was a bright blue so I added Cushings Orange to this vivid mixture. Then I only used a little over the white and the stripe ad additionally I had a heathery cream with flecks of gray in it. It was about the desired color but a little bright. So then I made a solution of just the Orange and overdyed it again in a very diluted bath of orange. Now it was dull enough (the white/cream) but not deep enough, so I overdyed it again with some of the original solution of the blues and orange combined. It turned out as desired, I wish I would have taken a picture of the 1" x 1" scrap I was given to match. So on the left we have the particular blue. The other two it wasn't as important and I didn't give them the final orange bath and they remained a little brighter and a touch more blue green vs blue gray.

I had much fun with the reds I dyed and finally hit on a red I like. It actually leans towards orange, but I'm ready to dig out one of my patterns with poppies that I dyed yards and yards of wool and never hit on a color I liked. So I've never finished any of the rugs with poppies in them that I have.

These are the reds. And they don't even look like they look in person. This picture is really washed out as the yellows are deeper. The pink is close to actual and than what appears to be coral on my screen is really more intense.

And next we have a terrible picture of the rug I started in July. Notice anything wrong here? I sort of lost my mind and ability to measure apparently but it's fixable. I've already ripped it out. If you count 5 horizontal stripes down, you can see where the two middle boxes of gold are larger than the others, I didn't make the purple stripe wide enough. It's easy enough to fix and I'd rather fix it now than later.

1 comment:

Charleen said...

Your wools are gorgeous! I've dyed wool fibers and yarns and cotton fabrics but now I think I'm going to have to try wool fabric too.