Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

4 Yard of Wool


You'd of thought I would take a picture of the wool before I started dying it; but no, I just jumped right in and started dying.

This is the result. When next I go to the quilt shop I'll take pics of the bolts so the difference can be seen. In the meantime, here's a days worth of dying.

I dyed it twice, used 8 cups of dye in total. A whole package of Olive Green, a whole package Khaki Drab, and some orange, and a turkey red, and some chartreuse. This was not added to 8 cups of water, mind you. I made one (4c) solution using the Khaki Drab as the main color and the second using Olive Green. I started out loosely following numbers 50 and 57 in Lydia Hicks Triple Over Dye book which are geared to 7 x 9 pieces of wool in 6 separate jars. Well I had 4 yards of wool, so I started by dumping an entire package of wool into the jar and adding some of this and some of that and then some water and adjusting by eye and testing it on paper towel.


That's just what I ended up using throughout the day. As I couldn't find any of my dye spoons, imagine that, I just winged it. The person they were for was pleased and wants me to do more.

1 comment:

sophie said...

I love these colors--so subtle and so rich looking.